Thursday, April 16, 2015

April 16, 2015

+ Article - "Moving to Mars" by Tom Kizzia at The New Yorker - This is like "Biodome" without Pauly Shore and with way more science.  Adventure awaits.  Read more here.

+ Articles - "The Case for Free-Range Parenting" and "The 1979 6-Year-Old: Less Reading, More Range" by Clemens Wergen at the New York Times and KJ Antonia at Slate, respectively  This topic fascinates me as I felt like I was allowed a ton of freedom as a child, but now am fearful when my son is in the backyard by himself.  I would love to hear everyone's thoughts on these.  Read them here and here.

+ Article - "Want to See Domestic Spying's Future? Follow the Drug War" by Andy Greenberg at Wired - Bad boys, bad boys...Read more here.

+ Article - "The Plot to Free North Korea with Smuggled Episodes of 'Friends'" by Andy Greenberg at Wired - If Chandler Bing can't save them, no one can.  Read more here.

+ Article - "The Myth of Wealthy Men and Beautiful Women" by James Hamblin at The Atlantic - There might be hope for the world after all.  Read it here.

+ Article - "The Eternal Return of Buzzfeed" by Adrienne LaFrance and Robinson Meyer at The Atlantic - Buzzfeed is garbage and wildly fascinating at the same time.  Read more here.

+ Art - "Self Portrait" (1920s) by Will James

4 comments:

  1. I too read Free Range Parenting and came to similar conclusions as you. Theoretically, I love it. In practice, much more difficult, difficult with only having/planning one child. I stunt know why we became the over-protective parent generation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Drew it is great to hear from you. I hope you are doing well.

      Delete
  2. I've seen the stat mentioned before that "the crime rate is actually lower now than it was 30 years ago" and I wonder if A) is that crime in general or kidnapping specifically and B) is there a chance that kidnapping rates are lower because of less free-range parenting and thus fewer opportunities for a kidnapper to find an unaccompanied kid.

    ReplyDelete