Thursday, March 19, 2015

March 19, 2015

+ Article - "The Science of Near Death Experiences" by Gideon Lichfield at The Atlantic - When I was in junior high someone gave me a book describing the near death experience of a young man.  The idea has always fascinated me, as I think it does us all, because it is the closest we get this side of the big sleep to knowing what is on the other side.  Read it here.

+Story - "The Grand Voyage" by John Middendorf - When I was young I would page through copies of Climbing Magazine and read about my heroes in the climbing world.  This story stuck with me.  Read it here.

+ Article - "The Biggest Threat to America's Future is...America" by John Cassidy at The New Yorker - I wish everyone in Congress would read this article and take its point to heart.  Scoring political points ahead of crafting good policy is bad for business.  Read it here.

+ Article - "Teaching Doubt" by Lawrence M. Krauss at The New Yorker - Nothing is sacred.  Read it here.

+ List - "Harper's Index" from Harper's Magazine (April 2015) - Don't go witching in India.  Read it here.

+ Article - "The Good News About Obamacare" by John Cassidy at The New Yorker.  Read it here.

+ Article - "Why was a 9th Century Viking Woman Buried with a Ring that says 'for Allah' on it?" by Adam Taylor at The Washington Post.  We need GPS to visit places in our own cities.  Our ancestors traveled vast distances using nothing more than the stars, and it has always amazed me how far people traveled in antiquity.  Read about it here.

+ Art - Kandinsky (1913) - In honor of Mrs. Hulsey.




No comments:

Post a Comment